Standing Firm (tips for staying firm in your faith during the school year)

1. Make Reading your bible/spending time with God a priority
Spending time in God's word is soooo important when it comes to growing in your relationship with Him. Though it doesn't matter what time of day you do it, I suggest reading your Bible in the morning so your day can start off on the right foot. I find that when I do this I have a much better outlook on the day and have a better attitude. If you don't think you have enough time to do an "in depth" quiet time, you can always read a quick devotion. I like to watch the Verse of the Day stories on the Bible App. 

*"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path" -Psalm 119:105
*"And rising very early in the morning while it was still dark, he [Jesus] departed out to a desolate place, and there he prayed"-Mark 1:35

2. Join FCA
Though I don't think every school has this, I would suggest attending FCA aka Fellowship of Christain Athletes (no, you don't have to be an athlete to go). They usually meet once a week and listen to a speaker, play a games, and worship. Not only is it nice to get a word of encouragement in the school day, you can meet other Christians at your school and make new friends. 

3. Hang out with like minded people
If you are trying to grow in your relationship with the Lord, it's good to spend time with people who want the same thing as you do.  Of course this doesn't mean never talk to non-believers. That is the opposite of what we are called to do. Just keep in mind that who you hang out with is eventually who you will become.

*"Blessed is the man who walks not in the council of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the Lord and on His law he meditates day and night" -Psalm 1:1-2
*"Iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another"-Proverbs 27:17

4.Keep going to church
I know with homework, sports and other extracurriculars it may seem like going to church two times a week is just too much, but trust me you will never regret spending time in the House of the Lord! Time with an uplifting community,  a message from my youth pastor, and singing worship with my friends not only made me feel better, it helps me refocus for the week.  

*"Not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another and all the more as you see the day drawing near"-Hebrews 10:25

5. Pray
In any relationship communication is key. The more you talk to each other, the closer you become. This past school year I really grew in my prayer life. I started prayer journaling and talking to God like He is my best friend. I grew closer to God like never before. During the school year (especially your freshman year) it is easy to get stressed, overwhelmed or anxious, but something that always helps is praying to God about how you feel. 

*Do not be anxious about anything rather in prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God" - Philippians 4:6-7
*"Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you"- 1 Peter 5:7





Thank you so much for reading! I pray that these tips are helpful and that you feel encouraged and excited for this new school year! Type to ya later...

Comments

Popular Posts