Thunder Storms, The Wizard of Oz, and God's Glory

When I was younger I LOVED watching the Wizard of Oz. I would go over to my grandma's house, prepare myself a bowl of vanilla ice cream topped with some Hershey's chocolate syrup, and pop in the VHS, ready to embark on a journey with Dorothy on the yellow brick road. It is definitely one of the most nostalgic movies of my childhood... along with Peter Pan, and Rogers and Hammerstein's State Fair (I am so thankful to a grandmother who helped me become very cultured in the movie department haha).

If you have ever seen the Wizard of Oz, you might be familiar with the big tornado (or as the farmhands called it, a Twister, a twister) in the beginning of the movie. Around the same time that I would spend my days watching this movie, I became terrified of thunderstorms. This was because I was convinced that every thunder storm would turn into a tornado. I have decided to blame this theory on my many, many viewings of the Wizard of Oz.



I love living in South Carolina, and I have grown to love the afternoon thunder storms that come along with it's climate. But six or seven years ago, the minute I spotted a dark cloud I went into a tailspin of panic. Whenever I was with my amazing grandmother (the same one I spend days watching movies and eating ice cream with ) and a thunderstorm began brewing outside, she was the best at comforting me. To this day she will continue to say that"storms are just God's way showing us how powerful He is."

Recently I have learned that this remains true not only for the physical storms in our day to day life, but it is also true for the spiritual storms in our life. In John 9:3, Jesus and his disciples pass a blind man, and his disciples ask "who sinned, this man or his parents that he was born blind" (verse 2). I think whenever we go through trials and tribulations in our life we tend to ask God, why.
 "God, what did I do wrong," we ask.
Well, in verse three Jesus says, " It was not that this man sinned or his parent's sinned, but that the works of God might be displayed in Him."



I don't know what storm you are walking through today, but I want to encourage you that it has a purpose, and will bring glory to God!  God's plan for your life is "to prosper, not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future" (Jeremiah 29:11). This storm may hurt, it may seem like it will never end, but it is going to reveal God's goodness, faithfulness and love in your life! And it will produce something amazing in you (James 1:2-4). How cool is it that God chooses people like you and me to be vessels for His glory?!

 I'd also like to remind you that this storm will not last forever! Because just like those afternoon thunderstorms, the rain will fade, the clouds will blow away, and the sun will shine again. I pray this has given you some hope, friend. I love you and Jesus loves you! Type to ya later...














Comments

Popular Posts