Big Creek 2k19 (Part 1)

Big Creek 2019//Part One



>>Big Creek, Kentucky is one of my favorite places on Earth! This year was my second year going on the annual mission trip to Kentucky with my youth group, and it was definitely the best year yet. I find my self constantly wishing I was back there, sleeping in my bunk bed, and waking up to Disney songs over the P.A system. I find myself missing the time spent with my best friends, laughing, crying and worshiping the Lord together. I miss the big hugs I got at the end of the day from my campers, and having flip competitions in the pool. But one of the crazy, awesome things I learned this year through Big Creek is that God knows what is best for us, and he will make it happen even when we are disobedient to go through with it. A couple weeks before I left for Bear Branch, Kentucky I had to register for which field I was going to serve in. I was planning on doing community, and even signed up for it as my first choice. But, I kept getting this urge on my heart to sign up for Childrens. Still I decided against it, no matter how many times I felt God telling me to do so. I told myself that if it was God's will for me to serve in the Kids field, then I would wind up there some way, some how (in case you couldn't tell, I can be stubborn sometimes). Fast forward to the Sunday we left. As I was eating lunch with my youth group, Michelle (my youth pastors wife) tells me I am placed in the Childrens field with her, Marley, Clara, Sarah, and my cousin Eli. In that moment I felt a great deal of excitement, but I was also kinda amazed. It still blows my mind how God works in us, even when we are reluctant to let him.
   Marley and I became leaders of the purple group (kids ages 7-9) at a day camp ran by Big Creek Missions. Loving on the day campers with my youth family was one of the best experiences of my life. But, I am not saying it was easy! It was extremely difficult... especially when some kids decided to run away, and others chose to play with bubble wrap from the trash can(yes, I am serious). By the end of the first day, I wanted to go back home, and it was a roller coaster of emotions all week. But when I would focus on why I was there, it got better. I was there to serve Jesus, and show his love to those kids. This gave me more patience while working with the children, and helped me love them better. I am praying for those sweet boys and girls as their school year starts back, knowing that some of them wont have people to continually pour love and truth into their life, like the staff and volunteers of Big Creek do weekly during the summer. I pray that God made a difference in their lives through me, even if it was just a small one. I love them, and hope to see them next year.




Comments

  1. This was so good Mac!!! I loved getting to know you more while serving God!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts